About Me

My photo
Author, Illustrator, Creative Guy willstrong.art@gmail.com

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Warning: Educational Content

I've been writing a massive research paper on Child Literacy for the past few weeks.  I think I've probably sunk too much time into this project but I feel very passionately on the subject (plus I have to finish this paper to be able to graduate in a couple of weeks.)  Here's an excerpt:


READING ON THE DECLINE  In her book Naked Reading: Uncovering What Tweens Need to Become Lifelong Readers, Teri S. Lesesne shares some shocking statistics that demonstrate the need for a higher level of literacy in the U.S.  “First,” Teri begins, “90 percent of all the books purchased in the United States each year are purchased by as little as 10 percent of the population.”  A bit shocking yes, especially for all those bibliophiles out there who frequent bookstores.  Teri continues, “The second statistic is even more disturbing.  The average American adult reads fewer than three books per year for pleasure.  And America leads the world in the amount of pleasure reading done annually.”  These statistics are tough to swallow, but many feel as if there is little that can be done to change the habits of adults.  The last statistic is the most severe and it is not about adults.  “Finally, more than 75 percent of teens graduating from high school indicate that they will never read another book again.  Think of this: in a typical graduating class, four out of five students who cross the stage to accept their diploma are rejoicing because they never have to read again!”  It just sends shivers down my spine.

Why do so many hate reading?  I blame Dick and Jane.  If you are unfamiliar with the Dick and Jane books it is probably because you weren’t an elementary school student between 1930 and 1970.  Dick and Jane are the two main characters in a series of early readers.  A sample passage from a Dick and Jane Book:
Come, Dick.
Come and see.
Come, come.
Come and see.
Come and see Spot.
Look, Spot.
Oh, look.
Look and see.
Oh, see.

Boring.  Just dull.  The language, though simple enough for youngsters to understand, is in no way interesting or engaging.  You may not even be able to tell what is happening in the story without the aid of the illustrations.  Truth be told, there really isn’t much happening at all.  Now, I don’t mean to vilify Dick and Jane.  The Dick and Jane books were quite groundbreaking as early literature for children.  Dick and Jane taught many to read.  They are just lacking in one key area: fun.

THE DOCTOR AND THE CAT  In 1957 a small revolution in children’s literature was started when The Cat in the Hat was published by Random House.  The Cat in the Hat has had such an impact on children’s books that it, and other titles, have propelled author Theodor Seuss Geisel to near-legendary status.  Better known as Dr. Seuss, Geisel was already a successful author and illustrator when he decided to take a stab at the early reader market.  From a list of 250 words Seuss looked for the first two that rhymed and built a story around them using the rest of the words on the list.  A well-known passage from The Cat in the Hat:
We looked!
Then we saw him step in on the mat!
We looked!
And we saw him!
The Cat in the Hat!
And he said to us,
“Why do you sit there like that?”
“I know it is wet
and the sun is not sunny.
But we can have
lots of good fun that is funny!”

So, while Dick and Jane spend entire books telling each other to look at their dog, Sally, her brother, and The Cat break every rule in the house, make a gigantic mess and clean it all up in just before Mom comes home.  Which book would you rather read?



The whole paper is about ten times that length.  If any of you read this whole post then bravo.  Myself, I normally don't read blog posts this long that don't include pictures.

9 comments:

Andrew Pettit said...

I read all of it. Pretty good!

Will Strong said...

Wow, you're brave. There will be much more interesting posts coming up soon.

Will Strong said...

Will, I agree 100% of what you said and wrote. I think that as a teacher and a future mom your essay could really be helpful to the lives of the children who are influenced by books today. Love it!

Will Strong said...

Yes that Tiffany Strong who posted the last comment.

M.R. Weaver said...

I read it all too. I like hearing what you have to say... especially when you start the post with: "I feel very passionately on the subject..."

Good job sir!

Anthony Holden said...

You lost me--where are the pictures?

:)

Cathy said...

Those are freaky statistics. I hope I have raised my kids to be some of the ones who don't abandon books after high school. How sad. I can't imagine life without books. It would be like life without air.

kwistin said...

I read the whole post. And call me crazy, but I'd actually be interested to read the entire paper. This is a subject that I feel passionately about--in fact, I think it's one of the things that made me want to go into illustration. Interesting....

Honestly, I'd read the paper if you have it on ya sometime. Props.

Rachel J said...

Aw. This takes me back to our History Class with Bethanne and talking about Dr Suess. Good times. But I agree, Interesting Children's books are vitally important!